Goodbye 2018, Welcome 2019! All you need to know about events, activities and traditions in Barcelona
Planning to spend New Year’s Eve in Barcelona? Whether you love it or you don’t, you are gonna do something remarkable to celebrate another year passing by and a new one coming. The New Year’s Eve in Barcelona – Nochevieja in Spanish and Cap d’Any in Catalan,- is plenty of events, parties, celebrations for everyone. You can’t be disappointed! It would be a pity to be sick during New Year’s Eve, however, sometimes it can happen. If you would look for the best doctors in Barcelona and you do not speak Spanish, we are here to help you. You can request a call with an english doctor in Barcelona anytime, just with a few clicks!
Step one: A traditional Spanish New Year’s Eve usually starts with a good dinner surrounded by friends and family. It would not be a Spanish New Year’s Eve without the tradition of the grapes. When the clock strikes the midnight of 31 December and a new year starts, it is tradition to eat 12 grapes in time with the 12 strokes of the clock. Each stroke one grape. It seems easier than what it sounds, but it is worth trying it to embrace the Spanish tradition and it brings good luck. After the grapes, 2019 will be welcomed with a glass of cava that will bring you wealth and prosperity during the new year.
After toasting, people will often meet friends and start the night celebration. Barcelona has options for everyone. It is plenty of restaurants and bars where you have live music events. Some of them are quieter than others. If you do not like the crowd make sure you choose a place with the best atmosphere for you.
If you feel like partying, there are plenty of places where you could head to. But watch out since a lot of them – almost each one- will not be free it is recommended to book in advance. It will be cheaper as well. If you would like to start 2019 with a party, you can check what is going on here.
Looking for public events and fireworks? Also this year there will be a new year’s show at the Magic Fountain of Montjüic. This event is free, with music, fireworks, lights and a wonderful atmosphere. You are not going to be alone, so make sure to be there before in order to find a good spot. The show will start at 23:30 and it will last 30 minutes. If you would like to spend the midnight here, do not forget your grapes and the cava to wish you a good fortune, wealth and prosperity during 2019!
How to get there:
- Metro: Stop “España” Line 1 (L1) and 3 (L3). Since it is going to be really crowded, you can also stop at “Tarragona” and walk a little.
- Buses: Until 22:30- 23:00 you can take the number 9,13,37, 48,55,D20, H12. By night you can take the number N0, N1, N2, N13, N14, N15, N16, N17.
- Taxi: you can find plenty of taxi around Barcelona, however, take into account that there might be traffic and a lot of taxis could be already taken.
Looking for one of the biggest local parties in Barcelona? Here you have found it. Poble Espanyol offers music and dancing during the night.
How to get there:
- Metro: Line 1 (L1) and 3 (L3). Stop “España”.
- Buses: Until 22:30- 23:00 you can take the number 13,23, 150, L94,L95, H12. By night you can take the number N0, N1, N2, N13, N14, N15, N16, N17.
- Walk: it is walking distance from Montjüic.
First swim of the year
This tradition will be a “must do” for the sea and the summer lovers. Barcelona tradition demands that the first day of the year, the boldest people in the city swim into the sea welcoming the new year and shaking off the old one. Feeling brave? This is the right appointment for you, 1 January at 12.00 at the beach of San Sebastian.
How to get there:
- Metro: Line 4 (L4), Stop “Barceloneta”. Walk 10 minutes.
- Bus: V15, D20, V19.
- Bike: do you want to rent a bike? Barcelona is the perfect city to see while cycling.
Cursa dels Nassos
Hoping for a sportive New year? If you would like to end this 2018 being fit then the “Cursa dels Nassos” is for you!
When: The 10 km run will start at 17:30. Where: Line 4 (L4) stop “Selva del Mar”, exit Calle Selva del Mar.
We hope you do enjoy your celebration in Barcelona. If you would look for the best doctors in Barcelona, you can always count on us. Book a visit with English doctor in Barcelona on our website or call the number +34 689 327 144 to ask for a doctor, give details of your problem and where you are staying in Barcelona and we will be in 45/60 minutes at your door! Remember the visit can be reimbursable by your insurance!
Useful things to know:
- The metro runs all night.
- Watch out from pickpockets who tend to go to crowded places.
- You should book ahead if you would like to go to a private event. You can book online tickets in advance, in this way you can save money. Booking is not needed if you would like to attend a public event.
- Remember the taxis could be really busy, especially after midnight.
- It would be a pity to be sick during New Year’s Eve, however, sometimes it can happen. If you would look for the best doctors in Barcelona and you do not speak Spanish, we are there to help you. We work in holidays as well for your health.
Now go make and some plans to celebrate and we’ll see you in 2019!