Fruits, vegetables, olive oil, nuts, legumes, and whole grains are keys elements of the Mediterranean diet. Learn about the benefits you can have with this diet in order to have a better lifestyle.
The Mediterranean diet is not only a healthy way of eating but it is also a lifestyle. Our doctors in Barcelona would advice that this diet contains traditions and healthy living habits of the countries around the Mediterranean sea, like France, Spain, Italy and Greece. But what is in specific the Mediterranean diet and what it has of different from other types of diets? In general, it consists in eating a lot of vegetables, cereals, fruits and a low intake of red meat, but let’s see in specific what are the elements of this healthy way of eating. If you would need a doctor for a consultation you can count on Doctors Barcelona, your health is our priority.
The Mediterranean diet
Let’s discover all you need to know to follow this diet:
• Each meal has plenty of vegetables, fruits, legumes, beans.
• Include wholegrain and cereals in your everyday meal like whole wheat bread, brown rice, quinoa, pasta.
• Drink enough water every day, water is so important for your body. According to this diet, you can drink wine in moderation, no more than one glass for women and no more than two for men.
• Eat fish and see food two times each week and choose instead poultry and eggs two days per week.
• Eat moderate portions of cheese and yoghurt each week.
• According to the Mediterranean diet, you should limit your intake of red meat.
• The Mediterranean diet includes healthy fats and discourages saturated and trans fats. The use of olive oil is fundamental for this diet. Would you like a healthy tip? While cooking use olive oil, no butter!
• There is no healthy way of living without daily exercise. Move every day: cycling, walking, running swimming, it doesn’t matter how you do it but it is important that you do it. You can check here how much you need to exercise to stay healthy. So turn off your TV, put away your laptop or phone screen and put your sports shoes on. It is time to move!
The benefits of the Mediterranean diet
Good eating habits bring to a healthier way of life. According to scientific studies, the Mediterranean diet has shown many benefits that can help us feeling better and being healthier people.
Let’s see some of the benefits of this healthy lifestyle:
– Helping digestion
This diet rich in fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grain is good for our digestion and they help controlling blood sugar. Problem digesting and you need a doctor in Barcelona? Contact us to book an appointment wtih our doctors in Barcelona via our platform.
– Anti-Inflammatory effects
Thanks to the inclusion of fish and olive oil, this diet has good anti-inflammatory effects.
- Lower your cholesterol
Yes, researches have shown how the Mediterranean diet can help you lower your cholesterol. If you would like more details on how to lower your cholesterol you can check our tips here.
– Alzheimer’s prevention
Other researches have shown how you can prevent Alzheimer’s disease. If you instead would be interested in preventing Alzheimer’s disease you can read our previous post about “How to prevent Alzheimer’s disease”.
- Good for the Heart
The healthy components of the Mediterranean diet can make a difference in your risk of heart disease. The use of healthy fats instead that saturated and trans fat is fundamental for a healthier way of living but also for the prevention of heart diseases.
If you seek for medical help or you need a doctor to know how to have a healthier lifestyle, you can always count on us. Click here to book an appointment with one of our doctors in Barcelona.